Simeone, Alonso Face Suspension After Champions League Final Misconducts | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Simeone, Alonso Face Suspension After Champions League Final Misconducts

Posted by: Omaku Cephas on May 28, 2014

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has been charged with improper conduct by Uefa, following the Argentines Champions League final meltdown in Lisbon.

The 42-year-old boss stormed on to the field in the wake of Real Madrids fourth goal on Saturday night, angry with France defender Raphael Varane- his second act of such during his sides 4-1 loss.

The Frenchman had kicked the ball towards Simeone as he walked back after Cristiano Ronaldos penalty made it 4-1 and, after whacking it back at him, the coach stormed on the the field and had to be restrained as he went for the player.

Diego Simeone Could Be Suspended for Next Seasons Champions League.

Dutch referee Bjorn Kuipers sent off the Los Roji Blancos manager.

Reals suspended midfielder Xabi Alonso has also been charged after sprinting down the touchline in celebration at the final whistle.

Europe footballs governing body have charged both clubs for receiving at least five yellow cards and they both face additional fines for fans lighting fireworks inside the stadium.

Real picked up five bookings, while seven of Atleticos starting eleven were also cautioned.

Uefa will deal with all the cases at disciplinary hearing on 17 July.

Advertisements

Pochettino Named Tottenham New Boss | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Pochettino Named Tottenham New Boss

Posted by: Omaku Cephas on May 28, 2014

Tottenham Hotspur have appointed Mauricio Pochettino as their new boss on a five-year contract. The 42-year-old have been in talks with the White Hart Lane club amidst rumours he is set to succeed Tim Sherwood, who left the club at the end of last season. This is a Club with tremendous history and prestige and I am honoured to have been given this opportunity to be its Head Coach, the former Argentine central defender said on his appointment. Pochettino guided the Saints to their highest-ever Premier League finish of eighth place in the previous campaign.

Tottenham Names Mauricio Pochettino Boss, Following Weeks of Speculations.

The former Espanyol player, who scored scored 13 goals in 275 games for the Pericos joined Southampton in January 2013, after three-years in charge of the La Liga outfit. During his 18 months at St Marys, he oversaw the progress of home-grown stars such as Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, James Ward-Prowse and Calum Chambers. There is an abundance of top-class talent at the Club and I am looking forward to starting work with the squad, he added. Tottenham Hotspur has a huge following across the world and I have great admiration for the passion the fans show for this team. We are determined to give the supporters the kind of attacking football and success that we are all looking to achieve. Pochettinos predecessor Sherwood took over Spurs reins five points adrift of the Champions League qualifying spots. He ended the campaign ten points shy of fourth-placed Arsenal in sixth place but sealed a place in next season’s Europa League. The boss will be joined at Tottenham by Jesus Perez as Assistant Head Coach, Miguel DAgostino (First Team Coach) and Toni Jimenez (Goalkeeper Coach), who he previously worked at both Southampton and Espanyol. Pocettino becomes the tenth manager Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy have signed during his 13-year reign. Levy said: In Mauricio I believe we have a Head Coach who, with his high energy, attacking football, will embrace the style of play we associate with our Club. He has a proven ability to develop each player as an individual, whilst building great team spirit and a winning mentality.

French Open: Murray Advances Into Second Round, Na Losses Opener | INFORMATION NIGERIA

French Open: Murray Advances Into Second Round, Na Losses Opener

Posted by: Omaku Cephas on May 28, 2014

British number one Andy Murray beat Kazakhstans Andrey Golubev 6-1 6-4 3-6 6-3 in round one of the French Open.

It was the Wimbledon champions first win in Roland Garros, after he missed last years championship with a back injury.

The world number seven will world number 66 Marinko Matosevic in the second round after the Australian beat Dustin Brown.

Andy Murray Wins His 2014 French Open First Round Match Against Gobulev.

Elsewhere, Chinese second seed Li Na, who won the Australian Open in January, made 35 unforced errors in a 7-5 3-6 6-1 loss to Frances Kristina Mladenovic.

World number 103 Mladenovic, who won the juniors title in Paris in 2009, will next play American Alison Riske.

2014 is the first year that both reigning Grand Slam champions have lost in the first round of the next major, after Stanislas Wawrinkas defeat on Monday.

Nobody says if youre number two in the world you have to win all the matches. 32-year-old Na said. I mean, this is tennis, everyone comes to the court, everyone has a chance to win the match.

I think it doesnt matter who plays against me today, Id always lose the match because I dont think she put a lot of pressure from me. I think I just gave away the match.

Also big-serving Ivo Karlovic beat mens 11th seed Grigor Dimitrov 6-4 7-5 7-6 (7-4).

Court Philippe Chatrier

S Halep (Rom) (4) beat A Kleybanova (Rus) 6-0 6-2

5-David Ferrer (Spain) 6-4 6-3 6-1 Igor Sijsling (Netherlands)

A Ivanovic (Srb) (11) beat C Garcia (Fra) 6-1 6-3

G Monfils (Fra) (23) v V Hanescu (Rom)

Court Suzanne Lenglen

K Mladenovic (Fra) beat Li Na (Chn) (2) 7-5 3-6 6-1

12-Richard Gasquet (France) 6-2 6-1 7-5 Bernard Tomic (Australia)

(7) Andy Murray (GB) beat Andrey Golubev (Kaz) 6-1 6-4 3-6 6-3

Other Seleted Results

19-Kevin Anderson (South Africa) 7-5 6-3 6-4 Stephane Robert (France)

Carlos Berlocq (Argentina) 3-6 6-2 6-1 6-4 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)

28-Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) 7-5 6-4 6-1 Pere Riba (Spain)

Ivo Karlovic (Croatia) 6-4 7-5 7-6 (7-4) 11-Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria)

32-Andreas Seppi (Italy) 6-3 7-5 6-3 Santiago Giraldo (Colombia)

Juergen Zopp (Estonia) 2-5 16-Tommy Haas (Germany) Haas retired

Oduamadi Joins Eagles as Keshi Drills Players | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Oduamadi Joins Eagles as Keshi Drills Players

Posted by: Omaku Cephas on May 28, 2014

Italy-based Nnamdi Oduamdi has finally joined up with the Super Eagles squad preparing for an international friendly match against Scotland in London.

The on-loan Brescia forward, who missed Mondays session arrived the teams base after lunch time, following a visa mix-up which had delayed his arrival to camp.

Sunday Mba, the other player yet to make it to London was expected also on Tuesday evening.

Nnamdi Oduamadi Joins Eagles in London.

The rest of the 30-man training squad went through some rigorous routines on Tuesday.

Several players underlined their readiness for the green and white jersey by coming up with impressive performances to the delight of Coach Stephen Keshi and his assistants.

Home-based prodigy and Warri Wolves winger Chrisantus Ejike Uzoenyi dazzled during the training session. Ramon Azeez, Michael Uchebo, Victor Moses and other regulars did not fail to show their worth.

The general mood in camp has been described as lively.

Keshi said after the evening training that the players needed tedious training routines to re-energise them and get them ready for the task ahead.

The coach expects to pick only agile and fit players for the 2014 soccer showpiece in Brazil.

Nigeria is drawn in Group F alongside Iran, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Argentina.

Karim Benzema close to agreeing new Real Madrid contract | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Karim Benzema close to agreeing new Real Madrid contract

Posted by: @femi4arsenal on May 28, 2014

Benzema

Karim Benzema is closing in on a new long- term contract with Real Madrid, which will end speculation regarding his future, reports Le 10 Sport.

The French newspaper, which relays information from France Football, suggests that Real Madrids potential pursuits of Sergio Aguero and Luis Suarez has no bearing on Benzemas future at the Bernabeu.

That contradicts the widely-held opinion that a successful bid for either the Manchester City or Liverpool strikers would spell the end of Benzemas Real Madrid career.

It seems Arsenal were relying on such a fact, as Arsene Wenger reportedly placed Karim Benzema on the top of his striker wish list this summer.

Arsenal are in dire need of reinforcements up front as they look to improve on their perennial fourth placedfinishes in the Premier League.

Around £40m was reported to be enough to convince Real Madrid into a sale, which seemed rather steep considering the Frenchman has just a year remainingon his current contract.

Manchester United have also been linked with a move for Benzema as Louis van Gaal aims to put the Red Devils amongst the Premier League elite at the first time of asking. But it is Arsenal who have held a long-term interest and would be left most devastated by losing out.

However, it looks like that is set to change with both Benzema and Real Madrid in talks to extend his current contract to keep him in the Spanish capital for the foreseeable future.

Although there is still a big gap between the two parties in terms of wages and length of contract, early signs are that both are keen to agree a new deal, leaving Arsenal and Manchester Unitedpotentially looking towards other targets.{GMS}

Giroud confirms contract talks | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Giroud confirms contract talks

Posted by: @femi4arsenal on May 28, 2014

Giroud

Olivier Giroud has confirmed he’s in talks with Arsenal about a contract extension despite his current deal running for two more years.

Charged with leading the Gunners attack from the outset of the season, the French international made 51 appearances in all competitions last term- more than anyone else in Arsene Wenger’s squad – netting a creditable 22 goals in the process.

Speaking to homeland publication Midi Libre (translated by ESPN.co.uk) after scoring twice in France’s 4-0 World Cup warm-up game against Norway, the 27-year-old spoke optimistically about current negotiations.

“I have two years left on my contract, but we’re in talks to extend it. For the moment, I’m good here. There are some good things to be done. “I feel at ease in this league. My first season wasn’t too bad, the second was rather good. I hope to do better still. I progress year-on-year, just like the team, which produces great play.”

He may not be Luis Suarez, but given his efforts this season there can be few Gooners who’d begrudge Giroud a new deal…even if there remains a desire tosee further quality added to the attack.{Arseblognews}

Lehmann: A fit Ramsey could be ‘world class’ | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Lehmann: A fit Ramsey could be ‘world class’

Posted by: @femi4arsenal on May 28, 2014

Ramsey

Jens Lehmann believes Aaron Ramsey must stay fit for a whole Premier League campaign before he can lay claim to the tag ‘world class’ but admits the Welsh midfielder was fantastic when called upon last term.

Never one to mince his words, the ‘Invincible’ spoke of the importance of being consistently fit as a fundamental factor in reaching and maintaining peakperformance.

Reflecting on the 22-year-old’s exploits, which included a four month stint on the sidelines with a thigh problem, the retired keeper told BBC Radio Wales:

“Ramsey was a surprisingly fantastic server of the club because when you’ve looked at the seasons before, he was good, but not that outstanding.

“And all of a sudden he knew how to score; he found the goal quite often. Unfortunately – and that’s what he has to work a lot on – he got injured again.

“And when you want to become a world class player, the first thing is that you’re always available. But when you’re not always available you can be as good as you want, but you will lose your rhythm and, slightly, your physique.

“And that’s what Arsenal can’t have with Aaron because Aaron was such a great character and talent that he has to be available all the time.”

In total Ramsey scored 16 goals in 34 appearances over the course of last season but his absence between Boxing Day and the defeat to Everton in early April certainly took its toll on a Gunners squad depleted at the time by injuries to other parties.

Given his horrific leg break in 2010, the series of niggly injuries which followed and the psychological rollercoaster that resulted from the fitness issues and other off-field issues it’s amazing how far Ramsey has come in the last 18 months. But maybe Jens is right…

Without any international football todistract him this summer (and that likely to be an on-going state of affairs basis given Wales’ history) he, unlike some ofhis teammates, has a real chance to hit the ground running next year. Let’s hope that a full pre-season stands him in good stead come August.{Arseblognews}

Diego Costa has regrets over Chelse aagreement | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Diego Costa has regrets over Chelse aagreement

Posted by: @femi4arsenal on May 28, 2014

Costa

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has regrets over signing a pre-contract agreement with Chelsea and is being tempted to stay put at the Vicente Calderon by the Spanish club’s CEOGil Marin, who is offering the Brazil-born Spain international a pay rise to continue with the La Liga champions.

This information comes courtesy of El Confidencial, who claim Costa would need to pay a penalty fee in order to break the £32m agreement with Chelsea.

It was reported earlier this month that the Premier League side had struck a deal to sign the 25-year-old who has scored 36 goals in 51 appearances for the beaten Champions League finalists this season.

Atletico’s esteemed coach Diego Simeone is putting pressure on the club’s hierarchy to keep their star players in order to build on what has been a quite remarkable campaign. That includes keeping hold of top scorer Costa, but it’s unclear at this stage whether there is any realistic chance of the prolific forward pulling the plug on his big-money move to Stamford Bridge.

Such a move would infuriate Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who has spent much of this season complaining that he lacks a proper goalscorer in his ranks.

Fernando Torres, Demba Ba and RomeluLukaku could all leave the west London outfit this summer, while Samuel Eto’o’s contract has expired.

The Blues’ manager is also interested in signing Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandzukic, but Costa remains the club’s primary summer transfer target.

It is also reported that Costa’s Atletico Madrid teammate Thibaut Courtois is keen to stay at the Vicente Calderon, too. However, as the Belgium international is contracted to Chelsea, it seems unlikely the brilliant 22-year-old goalkeeper will be allowed a fourth season away from Stamford Bridgeon loan.

And, in other news, Chelsea have reportedly secured the signing of former Blues’ midfielder Tiago Mendes, who will re-join the Premier League club after hisAtletico contract expired.{GMS}

Manchester United pushing hard to sign Angel di Maria | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Manchester United pushing hard to sign Angel di Maria

Posted by: @femi4arsenal on May 28, 2014

Di Maria

Manchester United are among the clubspushing hard to sign Real Madrid winger Angel di Maria.

This information comes courtesy of Spanish newspaper Marca, who suggest that Paris Saint- Germain, Monaco, Manchester City, Arsenal and Juventus are also in the running for the Argentineinternational and that the bidding war for his services could see offers soar as high as €50 million.

The same source reports that Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti along with a number of the clubs top- performing stars do not want to lose Di Maria, whowas arguably the clubs best player during their thrilling 4-1 Champions League final win over cross- city rivals Atletico on Lisbon on Saturday night.

If Manchester United were indeed successful in their attempts to entice Di Maria to Old Trafford this summer, it would surely have to be considered amajor coup for both the club and new manager Louis van Gaal.

After a truly dismal 2013/14 campaign, Manchester United are looking to return to prominence under the reputable Dutchman and subsequently erase allmemories of David Moyes shocking spell in charge.

While many fans are obviously expecting Van Gaal who will guide his native Netherlands to the World Cup this summer before officially moving to thePremier League to energise a struggling squad ready for another title challenge, expectations for new signings appear to vary wildly with ManchesterUnited missing it out on Champions League qualification for the first time in almost two decades.

Di Maria who will also head to the World Cup in Brazil as a member of Alejandro Sabellas Argentina squad would certainly prove a tremendous improvement on Van Gaals current midfield options, but it appears Manchester United face a wealth ofcompetition for his signature.{GMS}

Chelsea poised to bid £16m for EzequielLavezzi | INFORMATION NIGERIA

Chelsea poised to bid £16m for EzequielLavezzi

Posted by: @femi4arsenal on May 28, 2014

Lavezzi

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho wantsEzequiel Lavezzi to partner Eden Hazard and Diego Costa in a formidable new strikeforce at Stamford Bridge next season and is willing to pay £16m to Paris Saint-Germain for the final piece of the puzzle, according to the EveningStandard.

Lavezzi has emerged as a new Blues target following the stunning £48m deal that is set to take David Luiz to Paris Saint-Germain, a move which will be formalised during the early part of this week.

Luiz smashing the world record fee for a defender has freed up cash for Mourinho to spend on reinforcements this summer without worries of punishment under UEFAs Financial Fair Play regulations,and PSG is rather shockingly likely to behis first port of call after wrapping up a £32m move for Atletico Madrid marksman Diego Costa.

Mourinho is acutely aware that a lack of firepower cost him team when it really mattered most this season and is prepared to spend big to make surethat is not a concern next term, but not at the expense of letting Hazard leave West London.

The Blues are determined to keep Hazard and believe Lavezzi on the opposite flank would ensure there aretwo fantastic foils for Costa next season, if their number one transfer target does decide to strut his stuff in the Premier League.

Chelsea chiefs ensured negotiations over Luiz with PSG included an enquiry for Lavezzi, who scored 12goals in all competitions this season.

PSG are yet to respond to that tentative early offer and are believed to value the Argentine international at around £16m, a sizeable sum for a player approaching 30.

Lavezzi will concentrate on this summers World Cup before making a decision over his future, but expectPSG and Chelsea to be closely linked for reasons beyond Luiz by the time another summer season of transfer chaos has concluded.{GMS}